Westsidedad

Thursday, April 13, 2006

My teenage son rode the bus today. And he was very irritated at how long it took. He's used to dad driving him. I dropped him and a friend off at a movie downtown and let them take the bus back home. Before he left, I gave him a bus map and a schedule. Big deal? Well, this is Southern California. Middle-class people don't usually ride the bus. But it's good transportation for teenagers. My son, 14, is already talking about getting his driver's licence and using the family car. I don't know how my wife and I will handle that. On one hand, car insurance is very expensive. On the other hand, it would save a lot of chauffering by mom and dad. He clearly doesn't find public transportation very appealing. What does an safety-conscious, environmentally aware and financially conservative parent do in these situations? The way the price of gas is going, maybe we'll all be taking the bus in 2008.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home