Westsidedad

Friday, April 14, 2006

More fathers in the delivery room, less in the living room. The Washington Post has a very interesting graphic (but no story) with this statistic: *75% of fathers were present in the delivery room in 2004, vs. 15% in 1960. Unfortunately, some other statistics about fatherhood are trending in the wrong direction. In 1950, just 4 percent of births were to unmarried mothers. By 1980, the rate was more than 18 percent. In 2005, it stood at 35 percent. Fatherhood is more than a biological act. It is a lifelong committment to raise a child, to provide that child with love and discipline. I do not speak as a moral authority, but as a man whose father died when I was 11-years-old. The loss of my father weighs on me every single day, as I think it does for most men who lost their dad prematurely. I don't know what it will take to get more men to commit to being responsible, caring fathers, but I'm hoping we can start with honest conversation and some good personal examples.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home