Westsidedad

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Now that the medication has worn off, I can report on my colonoscopy. Last night, as I was administering laxatives my older son asked what I was doing and I told him I was preparing for a colonoscopy. He said "Oh yeah, I know all about it. The dad in 'King of the Hill' got one." I guess that's public health education today. Like many men over 50, I knew I should have a screening, but kept putting it off. Then last month a close family friend was diagnosed with colon cancer and underwent surgery. That prompted me to the referral. I can report that all went well. I'm good to go for another five years. At the GI Clinic at Santa Monica Hospital I was given a mild anesthetic, so I had little discomfort during the actual procedure. It was the preparation that was an ordeal: 24-hour fasting (no food, only clear liquids) and two doses of a powerful laxative. Arrghh! I'm glad it's over. In the waiting room I looked at a brochure on men's health. In addition to the usual warnings about heart disease, prostate cancer, colon cancer and STDs, it had a section titled "Manage Your Stress Level." One of the key points was Share Your Feelings:
Let your friends and family give you the support you need. When you talk about your problems, you realize that you are not the only one trying to deal with the stresses of everyday life.
Pretty basic advice, but most of us males need to be reminded of it every so often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home