Westsidedad

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Janis Joplin: my 14-year old son doesn't like Janis Joplin. We just watched Pennebaker's 1967 Monterey Pop documentary. There were songs by the Mamas and Papas, The Who, Jimi Hendrix ("I know who that is, dad") and Janis. "Why is he lighting his guitar on fire?" my son asked. "Is Hendrix considered a better guitarist then Eric Clapton?" my wife asked. "Hendrix is like Picasso," I said. "He is famous for reinventing the form. Clapton is more like Cezanne, he is working within the tradition." Then Janis and Big Brother came on performing "Ball and Chain." The film has a great reaction shot of Mama Cass, who was seeing Janis for the first time. Cass is seen smiling, mouthing the word "Wow." "I don't get it," said Jacob. "What is so hot about her?" It was 1967. I saw Janis at the Avalon Ballroom that Fall. She just knocked everyone out. I guess you just had to be there.

1 Comments:

  • I Love Janis Joplin!!! I love to sit and turn her CD up and just reflect...

    By Blogger Jen, at 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home